Sunday, February 13, 2011

Excel Project

Excel is an extremely powerful software application!  In fact, after using the program to complete the Excel Project, I have a newfound admiration for its capabilities.  To analyze large arrays of data in a matter of seconds still boggles my mind!  Although I have worked with Excel in my career, I have only utilized some of the many functions within the program.  However, after working on this particular project, I have a greater understanding for the relevance of Excel’s capabilities in the business world.

The project required me to analyze heart rate data collected from 500 different individuals’ 20-minute exercise sessions.  Initially, I had to rename the worksheet and format row headings/data within the array.  However, the first challenge in the project was to “freeze” rows 1 and 2, which allowed for continuous display while I analyzed the remaining rows of data.  To perform the “freeze,” I simply highlighted row 3 (the row below the two rows I wanted to remain visible), then I “froze” rows 1 and 2 by selecting the Freeze Panes icon in the Windows group of the View tab.  This simple, yet effective, method allowed me to know exactly where I was in the document, regardless of whether I was viewing row 8 or row 492 of the data array.  Furthermore, I had to create additional columns and formulas to obtain the following requested information:

  • Maximum Heart Rate (MaxHR)
  • Highest Heart Rate Achieved (TgtHR)
  • Target Heart Rate Achieved (TgtAchieved)
  • Percent Increase in Heart Rate (PctIncreaseHR)

Fortunately, creating the formulas to achieve the desired results was easier than I had expected, because of my previous experience working with Excel.

Finally, I had to create two pivot tables in new worksheets within the Excel Project workbook.  The first pivot table (TgtAchieved) provided the amount of subjects that reached their target heart rate during the 20-minute exercise sessions.  To create this first pivot table, I selected the Gender field for my rows, the TgtAchieved field for my columns, and the TgtHR field for my values.  Then, I chose to summarize the values by count rather than the default setting of sum.  In the second pivot table (AvgIncrease), I had to determine which demographic groups received the most benefit from the exercise program.  To create this second pivot table, I selected the Subject Age field for my rows, the Gender field for my columns, and the PctIncreaseHR field for my values.  With this pivot table, however, I chose to summarize the values by average rather than by count.  Additionally, I grouped the ages by decade (i.e. 20-29, 30-39, and 40-49 years) and deleted the grand totals for both the Age and Gender fields.

From the raw data in the Exercise Study, the AvgIncrease pivot table above displays the average percent increase in heart rate for all subjects.

The Excel Project was a tremendous opportunity for me to hone my Excel knowledge and skills.  I look forward to working with other software programs throughout this semester as I aim to enhance my proficiency in business software applications.





Works Cited

*Screen shot displayed is original work.


No comments:

Post a Comment